Publishing activities of the Department of Scientific Medical Information (DSMI) at the Central Medical Library (CML) include periodicals, monographs, collections, reference books, and more.
The publications are scientific, peer-reviewed and edited.
The DSMI is a direct successor of the Medical Information Centre, established in 1964 by the Ministry of Public Health and Social Welfare and later on, becoming a part of the structure of the Medical Academy. Since 1993, the DSMI has been set up as a department to the Central Medical Library. The long-standing tradition in the processing of medical texts makes the DSMI unique in the field of publication of scientific medical literature.
The titles in the Central Medical Library’s catalog of either multidisciplinary or narrowly specialized journals are known to several generations of Bulgarian physicians. The journals are intended for publishing original papers, such as articles, case reports, reviews, and various materials under the headings "In Assistance to Practice", "Discussions in Science", thematic reports from scientific forums, consensuses of scientific medical associations, abstracts of medical articles and more. Requirements for submitting a manuscript and Instructions to authors are the standard for scientific medical journals. The editorial boards include prominent Bulgarian and foreign specialists. The archiving of all original publications in the Bulgarian Medical Literature database allows for preparing and providing citation references for the authors' needs. The Library's website provides open access to a bilingual electronic archive containing the contents of printed issues, abstracts of articles, instructions to authors and other information on the journals. Many of the publications are freely available in the electronic repository.
The DSMI also performs pre-press preparation (linguistic and bibliographic editing; formatting; correction) of the journals of the scientific associations of Nephrology, Rheumatology, Cardiology, the Union of Bulgarian Medical Specialists, the Bulgarian Psychiatric Association and the Bulgarian Association of Ultrasound in Medicine, as well as St. Anna University Hospital.
Eight of the journals that we have been processing are referenced in Scopus, EMBASE (Excerpta Medica) and CABI’s Global Health databases, and Acta Medica Bulgarica, the official journal of the Medical University - Sofia, is presented in a full-text and open-access model in Sciendo.
Periodicals referenced in foreign databases:
● Acta Medica Bulgarica (in English). Processed in: Scopus, CABI’s Global Health Database, EMBASE (Excerpta Medica Database), Sciendo
● Medical Review (International Editorial Board). Processed in: CABI’s Global Health Database, EBSCO
● General Medicine (International Editorial Board). Processed in: Scopus, EMBASE (Excerpta Medica Database), EBSCO
● Nursing. Processed in: CABI’s Global Health Database
● Cardiovascular Diseases (International Editorial Board). Processed in: CABI’s Global Health Database, EBSCO
Journals of scientific associations, published by the CML:
● Bulgarian Cardiology. Processed in: DOAJ, BASE, CrossRef, Google Scholar, Index Copernicus, JURN, QOAM (Quality Open Access Market), ResearchBib, Scibey, Sherpa/Romeo, Ulrichsweb™, Unpaywall
● Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation. Processed in: Scopus, EMBASE (Excerpta Medica Database)
● Rheumatology. Processed in: Scopus, EMBASE (Excerpta Medica Database)