The library was established in 1918 in Sofia after the opening of the Faculty of Medicine at Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski ". The first full-time and only librarian was named Maria Abramovich. Beginning with a modest library donation of private donations, over the course of 1944, it was already over 60,000 volumes.
With the separation of the Faculty of Medicine from the Sofia University and the establishment of the Institute of Medical Sciences - Sofia, as an independent higher education institution, the Library has also grown into an independent university library.
With Ministerial Decree No. 167 in 1957, it became the Central Library of Medicine. Branch libraries are being set up at both faculties - Dental and Pharmaceutical, as well as in clinics and departments. Funds are growing rapidly and this has necessitated a three-fold relocation of the Library: in 1950, 1952 and 1975.
In 1968, the Central Medical Library (CMB) was designated a depository library for medicine.
Since 1970, by Ministerial Decree No. 2, the library has been recognized as the Central Branch Library of Medicine, and in 1973 it was designated as the basis of the National System for Scientific Medical Information. The building on G. Blvd. Sofiyski ”No. 1 was granted to CMB by Act No. 7962 for state ownership of real estate as of April 17, 1978.
Today, as a unit in the academic structure of Medical University - Sofia, CMB provides educational activities and provides access to library funds and information resources.
The library has a collection of more than 340,000 volumes of books, textbooks, atlases, monographs, theses, periodicals and reference books in Bulgarian and foreign languages. It has two reading rooms and a computer room with a total of 110 reading rooms. Readers have the opportunity to use all forms of library service. Internet access is provided, incl. wireless as well as remote access to library electronic resources.
CMB maintains an automated library information system, an electronic catalog and a digital institutional archive - a repository. A bibliographic database - Bulgarian Medical Literature (BML) has been created and updated. It includes articles from Bulgarian scientific medical journals.
To support the teaching and learning activities are the specialized services of the sector "Educational and scientific documentation": production of multimedia presentations, posters and advertising materials; documenting cases of educational and medical work, as well as events related to the activities and history of the University of Medicine.
In the Department of Scientific Medical Information, periodicals of MU-Sofia are prepared and published. These are multidisciplinary and highly specialized scientific medical journals, known to several generations of Bulgarian doctors. On the library's website, they are presented in the abstract. Some of the periodicals are referenced in databases such as: CABI - Global Health database, EMBASE, Scopus, EBSCO. Pre-press preparation of journals of scientific medical companies, as well as numerous monographs, textbooks, dissertations, etc. is also being carried out.
The whole team of qualified librarians, bibliographers and information specialists, as well as its directors Vera Kyulumova, Nadezhda Kudreva, Dr. Victoria Pencheva, Dr. Peter Dabchev and since 2002 have contributed to the development and optimization of library activities over the years. Lydia Tacheva.